Monday, November 25, 2013

What if this works?

There are always exceptions in this world, but I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who has had articular cartilage repair and hasn't spent some time in a dark place. Many of the people who need this type of surgery are athletic and active. And I think that often goes along with being a results-oriented, independent person. Then this "cartilage catastrophe" happens and suddenly your activity level drops to zero and you aren't really in control and you actually need people. And then there's the "what if" demon who undermines your confidence in the most sinister of ways. What if this doesn't work? What if I can't ever do the things I love to do again? And from my personal favorites playlist, what if I've done some little thing to mess this up and all is lost?

True confession. I'm not a glass half-full person by nature. I'm a practical, no-nonsense Midwesterner. If you really want to irritate me, tell me to look on the bright side. Don't give me false hope. I want the straight skinny and the worst case scenario right up front so I can perseverate on how bad things could be. When given an 85% chance of success, I'll focus on the 15% chance of failure. And I have come to despise this quality in myself. Despise it enough to learn another way.

My wise big brother told me recently that when he's facing life's most difficult challenges, he plays a little trick with himself. He flips the "what if" demon on its ass. Instead of focusing on his fears, he asks himself things like, "What if this new business venture is wildly successful?" My inner negative nelly was skeptical, but you know what? There's powerful magic in that approach. I started timidly with, "What if this procedure works?" And without much conscious effort, that morphed into "Hell, this is definitely going to work! Why wouldn't it?" No kidding. I know it's going to work. And I'm going to be back to doing exactly what I love to do. Like every other human being, I've faced my share of challenges. What haven't I overcome? Nothing! When have I been defeated? Never! Think about it. You're here to tell the tale, aren't you?

My guy has long told me that there are inevitably stormy seas in life where you have to choose the life raft or the anchor. He is, as usual, absolutely right. What do you really have to lose by choosing the life raft? Now don't get me wrong...those stormy seas do a great job of disguising the life raft. But it's there. Waiting to deliver you to shore.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm glad I ran across this, just wish there was a current update on how you're doing! I've got one of those "chondral defects" myself, not under the patella, but on the medial condyle...just 6 mm x 6 mm they say, but enough to cause stiffness pretty much all the time. Denovo NT sounds nearly as promising as ACI, but 1 less surgery and cheaper, will be discussing with the doc soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jake,

      I've heard great things about condyle repairs. Unfortunately I haven't had a perfect experience. I'm not able to run, jump, kneel, etc. Stairs are tough. Still have pain, inflammation, and quad atrophy. But keep in mind my defect was gigantic and it was patellar. If I was in your shoes I would definitely consider it. I would go to a surgeon who specializes in cartilage repair. I would also recommend finding the very very best PT you can. If you live in an area with pro sports teams, find out who takes care of them. Preventing quad atrophy is soooo important. Also, don't take Motrin or other NSAIDs. They can interfere with cartilage growth. No one told me. :( Please feel free to reach out if I can answer any questions.

      Best,
      Elise

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips Elise, I will keep it all in mind. Sorry to hear you're still having some trouble...don't guess you've had a follow up MRI or scope to see what the issue might be? One would probably guess that it has not filled in completely, but could it have overgrown? I've been dealing with mine for just 8 months, but I know what you mean when you mention spending some time in a dark place; I've pretty much taken for granted being pain free up to now. Still holding out hope though, and hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jake,

      So smart to ask! I actually had an MRI last week. I'm 21 months post op. It shows about 50% fill with a small area of full thickness cartilage loss at the junction of the Denovo and my cartilage. I had an MRI at 7 months that also showed about 50% fill so it seems to be stable. I'm really working on strengthening. It's been such a battle. My left quad is still 1.5 inches smaller than my right in spite of my best efforts. I'm considering a scope to clean out some of the scar tissue and smooth the cartilage. I'm back in PT now and will see the surgeon on 8/26 to discuss options.

      The dark place thing...I get it. It's been an up and down battle throughout this process but the good news is that there are lots of good days and we've survived 100% of the bad ones! I really think I would consider a repair of a condyle defect the size of yours. With a defect that size, I also wonder how well micro fracture would work? Your pain would be much improved!

      Please let me know what you decide. I'm here for any questions you have. I know these articular cartilage injury puts us in a "special" group. Not everyone gets it.

      E

      Delete
  3. E(lise),

    Just a lucky guess on the follow up, haha. I know very little about all this, but still so much more than I ever thought I would. This cartilage stuff is tricky; I think a broken leg would be easier to deal with sometimes.

    I can't say too much about MRIs. I've only had 1 of them, and it didn't show anything, but I guess they should be useful for indicating general condition of a repair. For me, the exploratory arthroscopy put pictures to what was going on, and I even got some videos out of the deal (which I've spent way too much time mulling over, self-diagnosing and such). So, even if you decide to scope it, at least you'll have an even better idea of how things are progressing in there.

    I'll definitely keep you updated on what path I decide to take, next appt. 8-6. Keep up the good work!

    -Jacob (I like to be as original as possible with my screen names :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A broken leg would be way easier!! How's it going now Jacob?

      I'm currently going through Denovo on my right knee after spending the last 1.5-2 years rehabbing my left knee from Denovo surgery. I got all the way back to full activity clearance on my left knee and less than a month later my right knee called a quits. They said the right knee most likely had a defect the entire time but was just waiting till I increased my activity load to make itself known. I'm about 3 months out of surgery and needless to say my mood has been very dark. I'm tired and selfishly writing all this in hopes of someone responding just to talk to someone who has gone through similar experiences.

      -T

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Hi there T!

    Sorry to hear you're having a rough patch. Boy do I get that. I would be more than happy to correspond! No one gets the challenge of an articular cartilage injury/repair unless they've been through it. My email is adastraperaspera76@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reaching out! Expect an email in the next week or so!

      -T

      Delete
  5. Would you be open to emailing me more info about this procedure?

    My orthopedic surgeon would like to perform this surgery on me in the next month or so and I'm very nervous and have so many questions....

    Best
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete